Mindfulness uses the breath as a calming tool. However, sometimes focusing on the breath while trying to calm down may make some people feel more anxious, especially during a stressful moment like a panic attack. Finger breathing may help as you place your focus on your hand.
- Hold out one hand in front of you with your palm facing towards you.
- Use the index finger of your other hand to trace up the outside length of your thumb while you breathe in, pause at the top of your thumb and then trace it down the other side while you breathe out. That’s one breath.
- Trace up the side of the next finger while you breathe in, pause at the top, and then trace down the other side of that finger while you breathe out. That’s two breaths.
- Keep going, tracing along each finger as you count each breath. When you get the end of the last finger, come back up that finger and do it in reverse.
- Repeat until you feel your anxiety fade.