There are so many simple ways of bringing mindfulness into your everyday life. Here are 7…
- When you wake up, instead of reaching for your phone, spend a few minutes just focusing on your breathing. Stretch. Smile. Open the curtains and let the natural light in. Enjoy your morning shower, without trying to plan your day ahead.
- Try a meditation. If you’ve never meditated before then download the HeadSpace app – you only need 3 minutes for the first meditation!
- Pause and breathe several times a day. If you link this to an activity such as having a cup of tea then it will become an automatic part of your day.
- Think about how you’re communicating with others. Do you really listen, or are you waiting for your turn to speak?
- During frustrating moments such as traffic jams, use this as an opportunity to take a few breaths, in through the nose and out through the mouth. Or listen to music. You could also try just sitting and observing your surroundings. It’s surprising how many new things you can notice on your usual route when you really look.
- At the end of the day, think about what you are grateful for. It can be something as simple as managing to cross something off your to do list.
- When you finally switch off your light at bed time, connect with your breath. Then focus your attention on your toes, feet, legs, knees and so on until you have scanned your whole body.